ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION RESOURCES
ACTIVITIES FOR STUDENTS
LIST COMPILED BY THE DCNR:
· Encourage your students to explore their own backyard as a classroom- Ideas from Project Learning Tree (PLT)
· Take a walk in your local park! Ask you students to check out their local state or community park and use it as a learning space. Here are activities from Project Learning Tree (PLT) to make it more meaningful.
· Go for a hike! Introduce your kids to their local PA State Park. They can find their local PA Stat Park here.
· Try bird watching! Have your students record backyard birds (through April) with Project FeederWatch
· Teach a kid to fish! In response to virus concerns, the Statewide Opening Day of trout season will take place on April 18, but non-trout waters can be fished prior to 4/18/20. All those age 16+ must have a fishing license. Go here to get yours. FYI- To reduce unnecessary travel and social contact amid health concerns, PFBC Commission Executive Director Tim Schaeffer signed an emergency order that allows anglers and boaters to display their fishing license, launch permit, or boat registration digitally on a phone or other mobile device as proof of possession. First time fishing? Check out PFBC's "Fishing Fundamentals."
· Free! Environmental Education activities from Project Learning Tree (PLT)!
· Are your students able to start a garden or plant seeds in a pot? Even one seed pack can lead to tons of learning investigations. Learn more here (includes lesson plans).
· Encourage your students to work with their family to make their home greener (from PLT)
· Learn outside! Utilize these amazing, printable nature activity and information sheetsfrom the NY Department of Environmental Conservation
· Have you tried Yogarate yet? It is the brainchild of Ron Shuali, M,Ed. that combines yoga, karate, Reiki, and other martial arts to improve health, behavior management, and relaxation. Ron is offering >25 different Yogarate videos for free to engage and educate your students (from YouTube).
WORKSHOPS AND RESOURCE LISTS
FOR TEACHERS AND ADULTS
· Adult EE Webinars Posted by Pennsylvania Association of Environmental Educators: http://www.paee.net/webinars.html
· Teacher Workshops Through DCNR: https://events.dcnr.pa.gov/event/urban_agriculture_curriculum_workshop
REACH OUT TO LCCD
NORTHEAST REGION DIRECTOR
OF PENNSYLVANIA ASSOCIATION OF ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATORS (PAEE)
Lehigh County Conservation District is honored to serve as the Northeast Regional director for PAEE. Become a member of PAEE today and receive advice about programming, education resources, the ability to advertise a professional development opportunity, or information about education, ecology or grant opportunities. This membership connects you with the diverse network of environmental educators in your region and throughout Pennsylvania.
· For more information, please visit the PAEE website:http://www.paee.net/membership.html
· Or contact Jolie Chylack, your PAEE Northeast Director at email@example.com